Pages

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Geometric Hangers


Inspiration

We’ve all had those moments where we felt the need to spruce up our closets. I had those same thoughts a couple of weeks ago.  In my case, it wasn’t about sprucing up my closet with clothes, but rather about updating the closet itself.  I’ve always loved wooden hangers, so last year I bought some from Ikea (less than $4 for 8!) I loved them and decided to get some more for the big move  (I have more closet space yay!!!).  After looking at my hangers, I decided they needed to tell more of a story and that is where it all began.  I know you might ask: who will see the hangers? What's the point? It doesn’t matter who sees them, it’s all about the details you put into your items.

At first, I thought I would just darken them with some wood finish.  After thinking about them some more, I decided to put a little more work into it and paint a simple design.  I went with triangles. Overall, I am happy with the end result and I am looking forward to finish the rest of them!

Materials


Ikea

Home Depot
Wood Finish

AC Moore/Michaels
High Gloss Paint
Brushes
Masking tape

Instructions

1. Staining the Hangers
Paint the wood finish onto the hanger and let it dry for about 15 minutes. Then, wipe of the remaining stain.  If you would like the stain to be darker, repeat this step.

In this project, I made the mistake of painting the wood stain after painting the design.  The stain definitely made the design pop. In hindsight, painting the stain first would have made the process a lot easier.  So learn from my mistake!

2. Taping the Hanger
I used the masking tape to create triangles of various sizes on both sides of the hanger. I taped the top and the bottom as well to avoid marks on the edges.


3. Painting the Hanger
Paint each taped triangle.  Between each layer, wait 5 minutes for the paint to dry.  I painted 3 layers of purple. Wait 10 minutes for the paint to fully dry. Remove the masking tape.

4. Outlining
I outlined each triangle with yellow paint.  I painted the lines by freehand.  However, if you’d like you can re-tape or use a straight edge to avoid accidents.  Wait for the paint to dry for 5 minutes.

5.Gloss Paint
Lastly, paint the hanger with high-gloss paint to seal off the acrylic paint and make the hanger stronger for wear and tear.

The Results




No comments:

Post a Comment