Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Cutout Painted Candle Vases


Inspiration

I saw this cutout ceramic hurricane at west elm and I fell in love with it. What really caught my eye was the cutout design and I wanted to bring that same accent decoration to my new apartment.  I saw these glass vases in Michael’s that were on sale for $3 and decided to try it out and see if I liked the outcome.  Ideally I would like a set of 3 hurricanes of different sizes displayed together.

Disclaimer: I’m currently in the middle of moving into my new apartment, and my craft supplies are mostly in boxes. I wasn’t able to get candles for the final product. However, once I’m settled in, I will update this piece with the vase with the candle.

Materials

Tall Glass Vase/ Glass Hurricane
¾” Masking tape/Painters tape
Brushes

 

 

Instructions

1. Before beginning the project, wash and wipe the vase clean with water and rubbing alcohol.


2. Tape the vase with the masking tape at a slight angle. Keep the tape at a tape’s length apart. If you’d like you can mark where tape should be placed with a marker (washable preferred).

3. With your choice of paint, paint the sides where the glass is visible.  I recommend that you paint three layers onto the vase and wait about 10 minutes between layers.  After all the layers are complete, Let the paint dry fro 15-20 minutes. Make sure that everything is dry before continuing.


4. Once the vase is dry, pull off the tape.  Do not worry if there were any mistakes with the paint.  The great thing about this paint is you can scrape it (details later on in this post)

5. Tape the vase with the making tape but now in the opposite direction. Use the previous painted lines as a guide to where you place the new lines of tape.


6. Repeat step 3.

7. Repeat step 4.

8. Once the vase is complete, you can use a small glass scraper to take off any unwanted paint. I haven't gotten the scraper yet, but you have a few days until the paint is completely sealed. This brand of paint is specifically made to use on glass surfaces. In the instructions on the bottle, you can either let the glass item air-dry or you can bake it.  Since the vase won’t be used for eating purposes, I’ve decided to let it air dry.

Results:



Stay on the look out for an updated post with candle photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment