Pages

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

DIY Painted Phone Case


Inspiration:

         I am currently in the market for a new phone case and I decided to use the opportunity to design one and see if I’d like the outcome.  Our phones are a daily part of out lives, what’s a better way to express yourself than through your phone!
          Every day, I carry my sketchbook with me.  Drawing definitely helps to keep me calm and at times occupied. A couple weeks ago, I kept drawing fish and fish scales on the page.  I thought that would be a great design for a case. Browsing through web, I saw different ways to decorate a case: markers, spray glitter, and paint.  Since the pattern is more intricate, I decided to go with paint.  I was really excited for the outcome of this project!







Materials:

Clear Iphone case (Can be found on amazon.com)
Acrylic Paint
Brushes
Gloss Paint
Scissors
Tracing Paper


Instructions:

1. Choose the pattern for your case. In this case, I drew the pattern out. You can also search for pattern templates online. There are a lot of free resources.

2. Trace the design onto the tracing paper. Make sure the lines are dark. Draw the pattern large enough to cover the case.

3. Cut the tracing paper so it fits the inside of the phone case. Use a few pieces of tape to hold it down.

4. Using the pattern as a guideline, paint the phone case with the colors of your choice. I used two coats of paint of each color. After I painted the individual scales, I outlined them in gold acrylic paint. Let the case dry.

5. Once the case is dry (I waited a day), coat the case with gloss paint.

Results:


It was interesting seeing how it looked being painted almost by free hand. In person, the texture looks amazing. Next, I would like to see how it looks painted with a stencil. or outlining the scales with a gold pen rather than a brush. What do you think? Yay or Nay?

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! What a great project. I say go for the gold pen. Yay!!!!

    ReplyDelete