Pages

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Painted Coasters

Inspiration

I decided it would be great to have coasters at the new apartment.  My friend and I are planning to have a lot of guests over throughout the year for dinner parties and movie nights, so why not have coasters! I turned 21 in May, and I’ve always had the feeling coasters were very mature.  Throughout college, I’ve never once thought about having these, and I’m starting to think that it’s about to have a couple.  I started searching for tile ideas, and one that caught my eye were painted tiles.
The next question: What is the design on the tile? I started seeing these outward patterns.  I loved how they focused your attention to the middle and then as looked out the pattern grew.  I wanted to give that effect to the coaster in a simplified manner.  I decided to go with the chevron pattern.  It’s not too busy and it definitely catches the eye.  It was a perfect combination.

Materials

Home Depot
4.25” x 4.25” tile
Heavy Duty Felt Pads (4 for each coaster)

AC Moore
Thin Masking Tape
Paint Brush

1. Taping The Tile

To create the outward Chevron pattern, you have to begin by marking an X in the middle of the tile. Once you have centered the X. Tape Triangle on each 4 sides.  Please make sure that the triangles are centered with the X.  It keeps the design precise.

2. Choose your color

Once you have chosen your color, paint the tile. I recommend painting 2-3 layers of paint to enhance the color.  Let the paint dry for about 5 minutes and then peel off the tape. Let the paint dry again for another 5 min.  After you are certain that the tile is dry, paint the tile with High Gloss Finish.  The finish will seal the tile and make it suitable for use.

3. Felt Pads

Stick on 4 felt pads on the bottom of each coaster.  This will help you not damage your furniture. 

Alternative: You can glue squares of felt on the bottom of tiles as well.

The Results



Just need to make a couple more and we are ready for the housewarming party!


No comments:

Post a Comment